Nav Links

Monday, December 27, 2021

An update on Mels Carbonell.

 An update on Mels Carbonell. Hal Haller informed me that he visited with Mels at an assisted living facility in Ellijay, Georgia. While Betty and I went to visit our kids and grand-kids in Athens area, I decided to drive to Ellijay to visit with Mels.

We have been friends for over 56 years. We met at Boca Raton, Florida Youth Camp and then as students at Florida Bible College.

As I walked into the dining room area, I saw Mels sitting with three other men. As soon as he turned to see who came into the room, He immediately called out my name, “Yankee”, stood and walked over to give me a big bear hug. I knew there was a possibility that he may not recognize me, but I was grateful that he did.

Mels looked great, sounded upbeat and was very happy someone came to see him. There were some simple things Mels could not answer for me, but we both talked about many things we did in the past about the Lord’s work. He recalled them well.

Mels was a soul-winner, and his life was about reaching the lost through every means available. He had the largest one-year anniversary with over 1,500 in attendance. Mels was a motivator who truly loved the Lord. Mels conducted the West Coast Youth Ranch where 1,000’s trusted the Lord and 100’s attended the Florida Bible College.

Before I stood up from the table to leave, I grabbed his hand and prayed for him. When I said amen, he grabbed my hand with both hands and then he prayed for me to keep winning souls. Some things may have slipped his mind, but he remembers the main things.

If you would like to send him a card, I’m sure he would love to hear from you even though he may not remember you. Do not expect a response.

85 Highland Ridge Road Ellijay, GA 30540

Lest than a mile down the road, I had to pull over and have a little time with the Lord. Mels had a great place to spend his remaining days, good food, and great care. I was so glad, but at the same time, I was so sad to see the path that many of God’s saints may have to take. Then I looked a little further down the road and saw the end where we will all win. Sin is ugly, but the grace and goodness of God is beautiful.

Yankee

It won’t be long now, so keep looking up!

No comments:

Post a Comment