Nav Links

Wednesday, June 19, 2019


Comment of Encouragement 
Before Jack Weaver passed away, he sent me this message.

Dear Yankee,

Please feel free to share my testimony with others so they will know that I support your decision to start the Florida Bible College in Tampa.

Before I trusted Jesus Christ as my Savior (at an FBC Christmas Concert in 1964) my atheist life was primarily my family, my very small business and Conservative politics, (Republican Precinct Captain in the 1964 Goldwater Presidential campaign
). I served on the Dade County Florida Republican Executive Committee and was later appointed by Republican Governor Claude Kirk to an exclusive five-man state-wide business Regulating Commission. I resigned that Commission in disgust because serving there confirmed my thoughts that severe regulation bearing the effect of law imposed on private business is not a Constitutionally Conservative philosophy. My business was directly impacted by that regulatory Commission and we were one of its many victims.

While Yankee attended FBC, Dr. Ray Stanford recommended he ask me for a job. I hired him in my business as a service rep. After training
, and before he visited any customers alone, Yankee asked permission to witness the Gospel of Jesus Christ to our customers. As a relatively new believer and a babe in Christ, I was a tad queasy and questioned the wisdom of mixing "religion" with business. Finally I consented, assuming Yankee would "use care and discretion."

That very first day a dear Jewish lady customer to whom Yankee had witnessed called my office and was irate. She said Yankee told her that she was "going to hell." I explained to her that surely she must have misunderstood Yankee (which she had) and I assured her that I would speak with him when he returned to the office.

That evening I counseled Yankee that he must be careful -- but even perhaps we should reconsider the wisdom of sharing Christ on the job. Yankee, very graciously said, "I will do whatever you wish, but I want to tell you that I led several (don't remember how many but maybe six) folks to Christ today." I was floored and thrilled at the same time. I had never heard of such a thing. No one had ever witnessed to me before in my 36 years so it was a new concept.

Thereafter, I encouraged Yankee to continue witnessing to our customers or anyone while using his good judgment. We never had another complaint.

That incident revolutionized my business philosophy -- from a secular business into business as a ministry. Consequently, over the next few years while I attended FBC I hired only FBC students as service reps (a half dozen or more). I instructed them all that they have free reign to share Christ with customers -- that we were concerned first for a customer's soul and secondly my business. We were not just to show God's Love in our lives which is great yet does not save, but to have free reign to actively witness Jesus Christ and His Salvation, to lead our customers to Christ. Our goal was first the Gospel and our second was our business.

I appreciate Yankee for his witnessing encouragement. He taught me the importance of witnessing about Jesus Christ anywhere to anyone and how to do it.
So you can see why I feel somewhat kindly and protective toward Yankee.

While attending FBC I also served as a Deacon, later an Elder at Florida Bible Church and was asked by Ray to serve on the FBC College Advisory Board
and accepted. I finally graduated from FBC December 15, 1971. I then resigned all positions at FBC, sold my business and started a church here in Perrine, FL -- from which I have since retired.

I am sure Yankee appreciates your support for the ministry the Lord has given him at the church and the new FBC of Tampa.

In Jesus Christ eternally, Jack

In 2006 I started a Conservative/Gospel web site,
http://www.ExPreacherMan.com

Yankee's Comments:


Working for Jack, enabled me to be Ray's Co-Director of the Christian Youth Ranch, from 1966-1968. Jack wrote this letter to another FBC Alumni and shared it with me. I did not ask for it to be written, but I'm very thankful for the confidence and public support of those who know me best. My one and only pursuit for 59 years has been to keep people out of Hell. By the GRACE of God, Florida Bible College will continue our goal in seeking to train soul winners.

Yankee

This is my first camp to miss in many years. Betty and I did not possess the needed strength to run camp this year because of our health issues. We are very proud of Jesse and Kyla Martinez for the great work they are doing with our youth. We are also thankful that 5 of our graduates from Florida Bible College Tampa (Jesse, Tyler Hamby, Justin Fields, John Hembree, and Trent Dudley) are all working at this camp this year. The goal is to train them and turn them loose. Five more of the workers have been students of FBC. This year we bused them to Grace Farm in Georgia with Freddie Coile. God bless them all. Yankee


Dr. Ray Stanford was the founder of the Christian youth Ranch movement that began back in the 50s in Miami, Florida. On his 90th birthday, about 300 came to celebrate with the man that had won and trained so many for the work of Christ. Although we were not singers, we did love the sing. Don Smith helped us out with his big bass. Ray has also passed on into Glory.
I thought you might like this artist rendition of the former Florida Bible College in Hollywood, Florida.


FLORIDA BIBLE COLLEGE OF TAMPA begins their fall semester in August. Majority of our classes are now available online. Go to: http://www.floridabiblecollege.us/fbconline.html

If you have a potential student or have the means to help with a scholarship, please go to: http://www.floridabiblecollege.us/donate.html

I remember Dr. A. Ray Stanford, who told me that, "If you starve, I'll starve with you." I knew God was not going to let him starve, so FBC, "Here, I come." That was about 54 years ago. 


Place our link on your facebook page, help us spread the word. Remember, we can do a great work for the Lord if we don't worry about who gets the credit.


You may contact Bob Gilbert 850-227-5325 or email him at: Registrar@FloridaBibleCollege.us

Do you have a question about Florida Bible College of Tampa? Most of your answers may be found at our web site at www.floridabiblecollege.us All of our teachers have been trained by Florida Bible College professors.


 please email me at yankee@yankeearnold.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment