Nav Links

Saturday, May 19, 2018

The value of my good old dirty Bible


Please allow me just a moment to enter into your world. Many people over the years have played a very important part in my life. My father in law, Mr. Raymond Jackson, led me to Jesus Christ when I was 18 years old in a little town called Athens, Georgia. He immediately proceeded to get me involved at the Northside Baptist Church under the leadership of Dr. Virgil Edwards. He was instrumental in establishing the Independent Baptist Fellowship of Georgia. I was privileged to attend many Baptist meetings over the next few years.

I was greatly encouraged to have various preachers/teachers signed the flyleaf of my Bible. Each one made a great impact on my life. It was not because I agreed with everything they said, but because I did not know enough to disagree. The one main thing I learned from all of them was their love of the Lord and their love of the Bible that gave them a passion for souls.
From the Fly-leaf of my 1st Bible

 
Signatures are over 50 years ago. Men that touched my life. 

I heard Charles F Weigle when he was 92, sing a song that he wrote called, “No one ever cared for me like Jesus,”. This was at Highland Park Baptist Church at the dedication of the Weigle Music Center, in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
As a student enrolled at Tennessee Temple Schools in 1964. I worked in the bus ministry (along with Gardiner Gentry) under Dr. Lee Roberson, who was pastor of the Highland Park Baptist Church. I was greatly motivated to be a soul-winner because of Dr. Jack Hyles who was speaking for the Sword of the Lord Conference.

Signatures are over 50 years ago. Men that touched my life. 

My Bible pictured below reveal a good old dirty used up Bible that I used for four years at Florida Bible College. Most of the graduates of Florida Bible College did not only have knowledge about the Bible but a working knowledge of the Bible. It's not that we underlined every verse we read, but we were taught to memorize Scripture from the first class until the last class.

I have pastored three different churches and Dr. Curtis Hutson has been one of my favorite guest preachers in each one. I have had the privilege of preaching in the South Texas Sword of the Lord Conference for three straight years before he passed away. He was truly a "Flame in the Wind".

Dr. A. Ray Stanford helped me more than any man on the clarity of the gospel along with a better presentation that would help the lost man to easily understand the gospel. Dr. Mark Cambron was the Dean of Tennessee Temple Bible Schools from 1948 in 1959. These two great men founded the Florida Bible College in Miami, Florida in 1962. Both were my teachers for 4 years. The older I get, the more I realize that I owe so much to so many.

I want to thank the Lord for every man that has crossed my path. Each one (whether knowingly or unknowingly) has left a little nugget of truth whether in word, thought or deed that has helped sustain me, lead me, guide me, teach me or warned me on how grow in my Christian Life. I have been so blessed. If you see a turtle on the top of a fence post you know it did not get there on its own.
I remember visiting a family who were so proud of their family Bible sitting on the end table in their dining room. I picked it up and found that none of the gilded pages had been separated. Many Bible colleges teach their students about the Bible but not the Bible. Study the word.
  • Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.  (2 Timothy 2:15)
  • BETH. Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.  (Psalms 119:9)
  • Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.  (Psalms 119:11)
  • Thy testimonies are wonderful: therefore doth my soul keep them.  (Psalms 119:129)
  • The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple.  (Psalms 119:130)
    The moral of this story is don't forget where you came from and how you got to where you are today. Remember: everyone is having a hard time, be a blessing. God bless.
  • Yankee
  • yankee@yankeearnold.com


No comments:

Post a Comment