Nav Links

Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Today Begins 57 Years of Marriage



Yankee_and_Betty_2
Betty and I ran away to Anderson, South Carolina on June 8th, 1960 and got married by the Justice of the Peace. Betty paid the $5.00 that they said was acceptable. I had absolutely no money. Completing 56 years is a pretty good investment, don't you think?
11a
When we were Young83
I used to sing to Betty with a guitar without knowing how to chord. It sounded terrible but she would swoon anyway. She was the prettiest girl I had ever seen. Her dad led me to the Lord three months later.
This picture below shows Betty and I when we attended Florida Bible College. We had two children while I was going full time. Betty ran a boys dorm where Mike Otto, Bruce Porter, Lee Patton, Mike Moore and several others_95a received two meals a day seven days a week for two years. My wife did put me through, what a woman.
Over the years, I performed many weddings, _108abut often regretted not having a church wedding for Betty and me., No family and no pictures to share. But would you believe that after 25 years my daughter Trina surprised us with a church wedding so we could  repeat our vows?
_111
Dave Cannon did the honors, along with Jim Bollinger and his two precious children. The picture to the left is my beautiful daughter (just like her mother), Trina Barnes. Eddie_s_Family_201431
My son, David, died in 1991 at the age of 28. We will see him again, praise the Lord. Eddie is pictured with his wife Debra and two of the most precious grandchildren (Jordan and Abby) in the world. Eddie will be singing for us at Calvary Community Church at 10:30 on June 19th which is Father's Day. This is also our THIRD SUNDAY DINNER for all members and visitors. Come and bring your fathers.
 If you would like to hear Betty and I sing our song as to why we made it this long CLICK HERE. Hope you enjoy and remember to love each other.


The Wedding that Never Was
by
Ralph "Yankee" Arnold
In the dead of night, before the morning light
Two hearts were young and gay;
Before the justice of the peace, and a five dollar bill
A rose was stolen away.
This is the wedding that could have been
Had the lord had his way with me;
To have the father give his daughter away
To a man for all to see.
After all these years, one thing i regret
Are memories that will never be;
To rob a man, of the master's plan
Is a deed that still haunt's me.

Take the time and read the poem below
And remember to always do right;
For the time will come with the setting of sun
That you'll know, and enjoy, with delight.

FROM YANKEE TO BETTY


It seems so right, you dressed in white
awaiting my hand in yours;
To make promises before man, and vows before God
Who looks on from Heaven's bright shores.
To love you, honor you, protect and provide
is my promise to ever be true;
To love no other, but faithful abide
and be the husband God meant for you.
For me to love you, as Christ loves me
is the true test of love divine;
To give to my wife, the supreme sacrifice
is the commitment of this life of mine.
As a token of my love for you
I place this ring upon your hand;
The circle which is eternal,
and our desire for the Master's plan.
Our hearts, like candles, shall melt together as one
as we walk in the warmth of God's Son;
Bone of my bone and Flesh of my flesh,
You're mine till our race is run.
To hear those words, "You may now kiss the Bride"
is a moment to enjoy for life;
But better still are the words so real,

"I pronounce you Man and Wife".

No comments:

Post a Comment